[Mailman-Users] Mailman problem

Johnathon B. Allread - East Coast Computers john at eastcoast-pc.com
Sun Nov 10 19:17:23 CET 2002

> When you ran the "newlist" command, it should have generated a list of
> aliases, formatted exactly for the aliases file.  Did "newlist" generate
> this output on your system?

Now that you mention it:

Entry for aliases file:

## list2 mailing list
## created: 10-Nov-2002 root
list2:                   "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper post list2"
list2-admin:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner
list2"
list2-request:           "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd list2"
list2-owner:             list2-admin

> If so, any particular reason why you
> ignored it?

I didn't "ignore" it, it states "Entry for aliases file"  It should read
"Ensure you add the following information to your Aliases file for
mailman to work"

  I'm not trying to be snide,

Well, your comment seems pretty snide...  Mailman seems to be a great
program since I figured out what I needed to do.  The documentation
seems lacking, but I can't complain since there is a mailing list
devoted to it.

I'm just wondering if there's
> some way this step could be improved -- there are many many queries
> every week with people who ignore the alias-creation step, and I'm
> wondering why.

Well the reason would be that the "alias-creation step" doesn't tell you
to edit the aliases file (see comment above).  I mentioned how to
improve the wording.  What would be a great help is to add this
re-occurring problem to the FAQ.  I looked and didn't see it.

As far as I know, there's nothing in the output of
> "newlist" that says alias-creation is optional. :-)

Then again, nothing says to edit the file either.  It looks as if it
just states alias information.  I am sure there is a way to change the
script to edit the alias file automatically.  Nothing is impossible...

BTW, thanks for the info...  It is what I needed to get Mailman to work.

Johnathon B. Allread
East Coast Computers
1902 Colley Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23517