[Mailman-Users] Mailman problem

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sun Nov 10 18:48:08 CET 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 12:00, Johnathon B. Allread - East Coast Computers
wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 11:39, Jacek Wojaczynski wrote:
> > Sunday, 10 Nov 2002 at 11:33 Johnathon B. Allread wrote:
> >
> > >  I added a couple of users.  I tried sending an email to
> > > test1 at norvanet.com and my mail server sent a reply "unknown user".  I am
> > > using postfix for my mail server.  Any ideas why I got this message
> > > instead of it going to the list?
> >
> > Have you added the appropriate aliases?
> >

> Are you refering to aliases in the /etc/postfix/aliases file?  If so,
> where should the alias for test1 point to?

When you ran the "newlist" command, it should have generated a list of
aliases, formatted exactly for the aliases file.  Did "newlist" generate
this output on your system?  If so, any particular reason why you
ignored it?  I'm not trying to be snide, I'm just wondering if there's
some way this step could be improved -- there are many many queries
every week with people who ignore the alias-creation step, and I'm
wondering why.  As far as I know, there's nothing in the output of
"newlist" that says alias-creation is optional. :-)

--Jeremy