[Mailman-Users] Re: stripmime

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Mar 22 21:16:19 CET 2002

    tneff> If you get verification that Stripmime is running, but it's just
    tneff> acting like 'cat'...

I'm not 100% sure what the actual problem was, but I have a good idea now.
As I mentioned, my alias looked like

    thelist: "|/usr/local/bin/stripmime.pl|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post thelist"

as described on the stripmime.pl web page.  The messages were going through
untouched. I suspect that sendmail was throwing away everything up to the
last pipe symbol before processing.  A suggestion off-list that worked was
to create the following shell script as /etc/smrsh/stripmime that does

    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/local/bin/stripmime.pl | /home/mailman/mail/wrapper "$@"

and install that script as the alias target.  I am now in business...

Alex, I know you don't want to get roped into supporting every possible
stripmime/MTA/MLM combination, but it might be worth mentioning this trick
related to sendmail on your web page.

Thanks for the help,

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)