[Mailman-Users] Re: Problem enforcing text/plain posts only policy

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Thu Jul 18 10:18:40 CEST 2002

alex wetmore wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>>  On 7/16/02 10:47 PM, "JC Dill" <mailman at vo.cnchost.com> wrote:

>>> I'd be more surprised if your ISP would refuse to do it.  Stripping MIME
>>> off mailing list destined posts makes everyone's life easier.

>>  Except that's not where things are headed. Especially when you start
>>  dealing with non-english language stuff. Instead, we need to
>>  selectively strip UNSAFE content and stop going to LCD situations.

A message with a content-type of text/plain can still contain
non-english characters, no?

>>  But I know from previous discussions you won't agree with me on
>>  this, and I won't push the agenda right now...

> Mailman needs to have better support for MIME in digests and archives
> before not stripping all MIME makes sense.  My users who were happiest
> when I started stripping all MIME were the digest recipients who
> previously had to wade through raw MIME.  You can tell Mailman to send
> digests with each message as a MIME attachment, but that is harder for
> most people to browse using common MUAs.
>
> Two of the four stripping tools mentioned in the FAQ allow for
> selective stripping of content.  I'll agree that my tool (stripmime)
> takes the most drastic approach of stripping everything.

FWIW, SYMPA is supposedly MIME aware (I haven't played with it at all).
It also has some encryption features that sound cool.

I agree that stripping MIME to lists is generally a good idea,
especially where the archives are concerned. Personally, I rarely /
never send attachments to mailing lists, since it's usually easier to
put the file up and let people retrieve it via http or FTP... and I try
to avoid sending PGP/MIME messages on the rare occasions i sign messages
to a list. I'm almost invariably happy when lists I'm on have demime (or
stripmime or whatever) installed, as it gets rid of all matter of
annoyances.

--
Will Yardley
input: william < @ hq . newdream . net . >