[Mailman-Users] Problem enforcing text/plain posts only policy

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Wed Jul 17 16:43:00 CEST 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> On 7/16/02 10:47 PM, "JC Dill" <mailman at vo.cnchost.com> wrote:
> > I'd be more surprised if your ISP would refuse to do it.  Stripping MIME
> > off mailing list destined posts makes everyone's life easier.
>
> Except that's not where things are headed. Especially when you start dealing
> with non-english language stuff. Instead, we need to selectively strip
> UNSAFE content and stop going to LCD situations.
>
> But I know from previous discussions you won't agree with me on this, and I
> won't push the agenda right now...

Mailman needs to have better support for MIME in digests and archives
before not stripping all MIME makes sense.  My users who were happiest
when I started stripping all MIME were the digest recipients who
previously had to wade through raw MIME.  You can tell Mailman to
send digests with each message as a MIME attachment, but that is harder
for most people to browse using common MUAs.

Two of the four stripping tools mentioned in the FAQ allow for
selective stripping of content.  I'll agree that my tool (stripmime)
takes the most drastic approach of stripping everything.

alex