[Mailman-Users] Line wrapping in archives.

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Jul 6 22:25:51 CEST 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 11:30:50 -0700
Raquel Rice <raquel at thericehouse.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 14:03:03 EDT Topaz11green at aol.com
> Topaz11green at aol.com wrote:

>> I've been having the same problem as described in the old message
>> copied below, and have not found anything in the Mailman
>> archives. Has anyone come up with a solution?

> Someone responded to that a few days ago.  Although I don't recall the
> exact response it was something like, it is not the responsibility of
> the list software to do line wrapping.  The person gave several
> reasons that it was not the responsibility of the list software but
> instead the responsibility of the client software.  I don't know, but
> my guess is that it's probably laid out in the RFCs too.

Quite right, especially since determining what is and is not an unfolded
line programmatically is fraught with problems (ie false positives).

If you do insist on doing it at the list server you essentially have two

  1) Manually edit and reformat the messages as part of moderation

  2) Use a pre-filter that extracts the body and pipes it thru `fold` to
  wrap long lines and then re-assembles the body with the header before
  passing it on to the list.

#2 would be most easily done thru procmail as it offers simple
header/body extraction and re-assembly.

--
J C Lawrence