[Mailman-Users] managing the list

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Thu Oct 4 04:52:30 CEST 2001

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 04:15:16PM +1200, Nigel McCarter wrote:
> Greetings,
> Mailman is brilliant (flattery will hopefully get me everywehre)
>
> I run the safe-nz list on behalf of the safety community in New
> Zealand.  the list is sponsored by the National Institute for Water and
> Atmospheric Research and was originally configured by the then IT manager
> Wayne Knowles.
>
> Like everyone else, we are getting heaps of SPAM.
>
> Can I set the configuration to automatically reject SPAM and confine
> postings to members? and preferably automatically delete the rubbish?
>
> Nigel

For particularly spam-sensitive or spam-prone lists, I find
front-ending the list manager with a procmail filter makes good
sense.  Procmail is quite flexible, and can discard incoming
mail on much more sophisticated critera than any sane mailing
list software should or perhaps even could touch.

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/