[Mailman-Users] Catholic Information Network (CIN) Moderators List flooded with blank emails

Greg Ward gward at mems-exchange.org
Tue Oct 2 16:03:39 CEST 2001

On 02 October 2001, Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (SOLT) said:
> Since the Catholic Information Network (CIN) changed to the Mailman
> program yesterday, our moderators' list (which has 40 to 50
> moderators) is flooded with blank emails.

Yikes!

The first thing I would do is start tailing log files to try and
identify a culprit.  Mailman's logs are in ~mailman/logs; I would
  tail -f post smtp smtp-failure qrunner
for a start.  (Umm, this assumes GNU tail -- older, more primitive
Unices are not as capable.  I'm assuming you know something about
administering a Unix system, otherwise you probably shouldn't be using
Mailman.)

Of course, your MTA is also a factor.  Which MTA are you using, anyways?
Whatever, I'm presuming you know where its logs are -- go tail them,
too.

Or hell, just *look* at the logs from overnight, when your poor
moderators were getting 100s of messages.  Old info is better than no
info.

        Greg
Greg Ward - software developer                gward at mems-exchange.org