[Mailman-Users] Re: remove this?

Bill Warner lww at ictech.net
Fri May 11 17:45:28 CEST 2001

At 07:43 AM 5/11/01 -0700, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
>How far does that go?  Should you be allowed to turn off the "To:" header
>if you want?  "Subject:"?  "Date:"?

Oh, please.  Lets not get snide about this.  We are talking about a very
specific set of headers and you know it.

We are talking about a set of headers that have their basis in RFC
2369.  RFC 2369 is a *Proposed* Standard.  It isn't even a Draft Standard,
which is the phase that it will have to go through next before it can
become a Standard Protocol.  Even if it is eventually adopted as a Standard
Protocol it will be *optional*.  Even the authors of RFC 2369 agree that
the use of these particular headers should be *optional* on a *per-list* basis.

This simply doesn't compare to arbitrarily eliminating RFC 822 headers
which are *required* by accepted standards.

--Bill