[Mailman-Users] Re: remove this?

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.co.uk
Wed May 9 10:51:17 CEST 2001

lww at ictech.net said:
> If and when MUAs make automated use of these headers as suggested by
> the  RFC, then it may be a good idea.  But until then, I simply can't
> afford the  added tech support burden to teach every user how to make
> this kind of  config change to their particular client.  It's hard
> enough to keep their  basic setting in order!  ;-)

Chicken & Egg or Egg & Chicken.  Someone has to start.
Until there is evidence that list headers are being used, MUA authors
will not in general support them... and currently the only MUA I know
of that does use them is exmh (and that has a couple of wrinkles I
could do without).

We probably also ought to use the List-* headers as part of the loop
detection... and long term deprecate the X-beenthere - however judging
by the number of mailman 1.x installs around and the amount of people
with procmail filtering on that its likely to be a painful process.

We do need to document the use of the headers and potentially have a
means for disabling them... however I would very strongly suggest that
this is not made easy - ie not a web config item, and if we do use
List-* as part of the loop detection remember that people using it may
screw themselves royally.  If its a configurable my tendancy would be
to put it in mm_cfg.py and ideally reset it on each upgrade.

BTW for people wishing to strip these then it may be better to do this
in MTA filtering - exim can handle this easily.

I am strongly resisting the temptation to comment on the buns thread.

	Nigel.