[Mailman-Users] Problem with Sender Info

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Wed May 9 20:13:51 CEST 2001

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 09:20:52PM -0700, Sarah K. Miller wrote:
> I run a  server with about 80 lists on  it. Everything goes smoothly until
> the  monthly  reminder is  sent  out  on  the  first of  the  month. Every
> outgoing  message   indicates  the   "Sender"  is  the   same  list-owner,
> regardless  of which  list the  subscriber was  actually a  member of. For
> example,  I  have a  lists  named  blah1 at domain.org, blah2 at domain.org  and
> blah3 at domain.org. The  monthly  reminder shows  every  message  to have  a
> "sender" of blah2-owner at domain.org. This causes the undeliverable messages
> from  all 80  lists to  land in  the lap  of some  poor unsuspecting  list
> administrator who has no clue why  they're getting bounces from people who
> aren't on  their list. I would like  to change the default  "Sender" to be

yep, that's annoying.

I've found that mailman uses the first list that was ever created (probably
does a readdir and picks the first list in ~mailman/lists)

I created the very first list to be test, and the owner is an alias that
gets aliases to a file on disk.
After the first of the month, I run the attached script on that mailbox
(after manually removing vacation messages), and feed all the resulting
Emails into remove_members -f - _alllists_

Mailman  should however  make the  envelope and  header senders  of reminder
Emails configurable (I'd want both of them to be distinct)

Marc

PS: you need the remove_members patch from
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=413257&group_id=103&atid=300103