[Mailman-Users] Allowing users to join without specifying pas swords

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Fri Jun 15 02:06:19 CEST 2001

    >> It looks like Mailman is designed from the ground up with the
    >> assumption that passwords will be used.  Is that correct?

    S> Looks that way. Barry?

In effect yes.  However with MM2.1 users can just about get away with
never needing to supply (or know) their passwords for the common
things like subscribing and unsubscribing.  MM2.1 will auto-generate a
password for them if the don't supply one, and it uses a mailback
confirmation (which accepts a reply or web-click to confirm) for
unsubs.  They will still need their password in order to modify their
options, but I see that as an advanced task that most users will never
have to perform.  (Has anybody looked at the user login page in the
CVS snapshot?)

I definitely hear what Chuq's saying, and what others have asked for
quite often.  I'm mulling over ways to make unsubscribing dead simple
both for users to accomplish, and for admin's to explain how it's done.

(Aside: Ever tried explaining to a user how they can get unsubscribed,
in every last gory detail?  It sucks.)

Making this easier for the user will also ease a significant admin
burden, one I also feel all too painfully. ;)

-Barry