[Mailman-Users] Allowing users to join without specifying pas swords

Norbert Bollow nb at thinkcoach.com
Fri Jun 15 09:04:09 CEST 2001

> I definitely hear what Chuq's saying, and what others have asked for
> quite often.  I'm mulling over ways to make unsubscribing dead simple
> both for users to accomplish, and for admin's to explain how it's done.

How about this:  Put a link "to unsubscribe click here" at the
bottom of every mail you send out.  That link has the
subscriber's email address embedded in it, and it leads to a CGI
program which checks (by means of a reverse DNS lookup) whether
the IP address from which the click comes belongs to the same
domain as the email address for which unsubscription is
requested.

If yes, unsub immediately.

If no, require email confirmation for the unsub request.

Greetings, Norbert.

Tel +41 1 972 20 59     Fax +41 1 972 20 69      nb at freedevelopers.net