[Mailman-Users] Re: v2.0beta2 three patches

Doug Hughes doug at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Sun Apr 23 16:11:46 CEST 2000

On 22 Apr 2000, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > Here is a simple Perl script to fix the .mbox file.
> > Direct it into a new file. move the original pipermail
> > archive directory to e.g. listname-bak, then run arch
> > on the new mbox file, chown the listname dir to the appropriate
> > owner (e.g. daemon), and then copy the new perl generated
> > .mbox file over the old one. (if you feel uncomfortable about
> > this, do a diff on list.mbox/list.mbox and the new file
> > previous to the arch and copying steps.
>
> Hmm, your script doesn't quite do the right thing in all cases:
>
>  - All messages do not begin with a Received-From line
>    (Delivered-To and Return-Path are two found in my
>    mailboxes)
>
>  - All date formats legal in a Date line are not legal
>    in the unix from line, and mailbox.py will not
>    recognize such incorrect unix from lines as message
>    separators.
>
> I don't have a patch right now (the first one is easy to fix,
> the second one quite hard) - but wanted to put out that warning.
> People may want to wait before trying to fix up their
> mailboxes.

Good point! It found another problem when the last message doesn't
have a From line (which I fixed). That said, I didn't run into the
other two problems, fortunately for me. THese lists were relatively
new conversions from another format to mailman-2.0, so there weren't
that many messages to 'fix'.

Doug Hughes					Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin  				Auburn University
			doug at eng.auburn.edu