[Mailman-Users] Re: v2.0beta2 three patches

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Apr 22 21:55:32 CEST 2000

> Here is a simple Perl script to fix the .mbox file.
> Direct it into a new file. move the original pipermail
> archive directory to e.g. listname-bak, then run arch
> on the new mbox file, chown the listname dir to the appropriate
> owner (e.g. daemon), and then copy the new perl generated
> .mbox file over the old one. (if you feel uncomfortable about
> this, do a diff on list.mbox/list.mbox and the new file
> previous to the arch and copying steps.

Hmm, your script doesn't quite do the right thing in all cases:

 - All messages do not begin with a Received-From line
   (Delivered-To and Return-Path are two found in my
   mailboxes)

 - All date formats legal in a Date line are not legal
   in the unix from line, and mailbox.py will not
   recognize such incorrect unix from lines as message
   separators.

I don't have a patch right now (the first one is easy to fix,
the second one quite hard) - but wanted to put out that warning.
People may want to wait before trying to fix up their
mailboxes.

Regards,
                                        Owen