[Mailman-i18n] set charset in outgoing Mailman messages

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Mon Feb 13 11:40:35 CET 2006

Josh Zlatin-Amishav wrote:
> I translated a few of the Mailman subscripe and unsubscribe
> text files to Hebrew. I tried to add Hebrew (iso-8859-8-1) support by adding
> the following line to Defaults.py
> add_language('he',    _('Hebrew'),              'iso-8859-8-1')

Fist, ISO 693 states the language code for the Hebrew is 'iw' not 'he'.
  Are you sure the above code is right?

Second, Python 2.4 have codec for 'iso-8859-8' but not for
'iso-8859-8-1'.  We put aliases for '-i' and '-e' in misc/paths.py.in
lately but not '-1'.  Is it common in Islael to use this notation?  I
couldn't find 'ISO-8859-8-1' in the IANA charsets:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

> and I even tried setting the default language to Hebrew in mm_cfg.py
> DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'he'
>
> but the messages sent by Mailman still do not set the charset correctly. I
> looked at http://www.list.org/i18n.html for more specific instructions
> but could not find any. Can someone point me in the right direction to
> configure Mailman to set the charset for outgoing Mailman messages to
> iso-8859-8-1.

You may have to chose a proper charset name and register in the aliases.

http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/