[Mailman-i18n] "Funny" characters in real names?

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 15:41:42 -0700

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>    BG> When submitting an HTML form, the character set used for the
>    BG> submitted data is the same as the one specified in the HTML or
>    BG> header of the original form's page.
>

>If they were subscribed via email, we'd already have the encoded form
>of their real name.
>
>What's left are the command line and mass subscribe page (both the
>text box and the file upload).  In these cases should we simply reject
>addresses with non-ascii real names?  That'd mean they'd have to be
>encoded prior to being subscribed.

As far as the command-line goes, we should probably reject non-ASCII
real names, yes.  (It MIGHT be possible to parse the various
LANG/LC_CHARSET environment variables and guess the character set, but
that's a pain.)

The mass subscribe page case should be the same as any other HTML form,
right?  Whatever character set the original form's page used is what all
the real names' character sets get set to.

Ben