[Mailman-i18n] "Funny" characters in real names?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:44:57 -0400

    BG> When submitting an HTML form, the character set used for the
    BG> submitted data is the same as the one specified in the HTML or
    BG> header of the original form's page.

    BG> So we do know what character set the user originally used, and
    BG> can store that with their user data.  Then when we send out a
    BG> personalized message, we can easily encode the To: header.

If they were subscribed via email, we'd already have the encoded form
of their real name.

What's left are the command line and mass subscribe page (both the
text box and the file upload).  In these cases should we simply reject
addresses with non-ascii real names?  That'd mean they'd have to be
encoded prior to being subscribed.

-Barry