[Mailman-i18n] Subject lines in Archives

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:49:59 +0200 (CEST)

> You tell me what happens when I post in Japanese, then the next person
> posts in Chinese, then the next person posts in German.
>
> You get an unreadable, illegally encoded HTML file that may scramble
> peoples' terminals or crash them.
>
> If you have found a solution for this other than converting
> everything to UTF-8, I would love to hear it.

Just try my patch. As usual, pipermail will count the number of articles by
encoding, and select the majority encoding as the encoding of the index. All
messages in other encodings will be converted to that encoding. If conversion
fails, HTML character references are emitted. It requires a codec for all
encodings but the majority encoding.

Look Ma, no UTF-8.

Regards,
Martin