[Mailman-i18n] Subject lines in Archives

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 23:15:59 +0900

    Martin> Just try my patch. As usual, pipermail will count the
    Martin> number of articles by encoding, and select the majority
    Martin> encoding as the encoding of the index. All messages in
    Martin> other encodings will be converted to that encoding. If
    Martin> conversion fails, HTML character references are
    Martin> emitted. It requires a codec for all encodings but the
    Martin> majority encoding.

I'm a bit confused.  How exactly do you propose converting non-Latin
encoded text to Latin?  Since it cannot ever be converted, are you
going to emit Unicode HTML character references?

Also, what do you do to map charsets to Python Unicode codecs?
They're not one-to-one; for example, ISO-2022-JP goes to
japanese.iso-2022-jp.

Anyway, the patch sounds very nice, and I'm sure Barry is just waiting
for you to report that it works fine with Mailman 2.1 beta.  It's a
lot like one I sent him a while ago, but sounds much further along.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters W and V and the number 2.
"Wuzzle means to mix."