[Mailman-i18n] Subject lines in Archives

Martin v. Löwis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
02 Apr 2002 18:45:44 +0200

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:

> This is only because GUI browsers contain work-arounds for problems
> just like this.  Why make the GUI browser programmers' lives harder?

Please remember that the original problem is in the email clients
which don't properly MIME-encode non-ASCII text. Be liberal in what
you accept: we should not throw away contents just because we don't
know what charset it has. Perhaps the browser can display something
meaningful, perhaps not. If the remove the contents from the archive,
it is certain that it can't display anthing meaningful.

> Or we could give an option to replace text that could not be converted
> to Unicode with a message, eh?  What's the harm in allowing both?

Who would be controlling this option, and how? If the list admin: why
is she in a better position to make a decision than we are?

Regards,
Martin