[Mailman-i18n] Subject lines in Archives

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 00:44:40 +0900

tes:

    Ben> Not everyone views these archives with a GUI web browser that
    Ben> contains work-arounds for all the invalid encoded text in the
    Ben> world; we need to be liberal in what we accept, but
    Ben> conservative in what we emit.

    Martin> In a GUI browser, it is not at all dangerous, we appear to
    Martin> agree on that. I'd claim that the majority uses GUI
    Martin> browsers these days, so it is not really clear why the
    Martin> majority should suffer for the comfort of a few.

This is only because GUI browsers contain work-arounds for problems
just like this.  Why make the GUI browser programmers' lives harder?

    Ben> I know I would prefer a message like "(text with unknown
    Ben> encoding)" over a garbled Japanese terminal any day.

    Martin> If that is really a concern to you (it is none to me,
    Martin> since I don't use a web browser that may corrupt my
    Martin> terminal), then I think the non-ASCII or control bytes
    Martin> could be qp-encoded - just supressing the text would drop
    Martin> the usability of the archive.

Or we could give an option to replace text that could not be converted
to Unicode with a message, eh?  What's the harm in allowing both?

    Martin> Notice that this isn't just necessary for the subjects -
    Martin> it is needed for arbitrary body text as well (and so
    Martin> independent from the subject we are discussing right now).

Yes.

Ben

--=20
Brought to you by the letters I and J and the number 6.
"Moshimoshi. Kikoemasu ka?" "Kakenaoshimasu kara ne! 1-do kitte kudasai."
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer of Gimp and Nethack -- http://www.debian.org/