[Mailman-Developers] GSoC project - Implement module to process ARC headers

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jun 14 15:24:08 EDT 2016

Hi!

I'm sorry that I haven't responded before, it's been very busy
catching up to $DAYJOB since getting back.

 > Now the next step would be to change the namespace and make it more
 > general to accommodate the ARC capability. That is the module now
 > provides the capability for ARC protocol implementation but still
 > retains its 'DKIM' namespace.  Since this would involve quite a few
 > changes, and could easily break the setup, I would like your
 > thoughts on this if there are any good practices to follow here.

I don't understand what you're worried about.  Of course if you change
all the names, especially with some sort of automatic process, there's
a pretty good chance of introducing typos.  We fix them as we find
them, that's all.

 > The way I can think of doing this is to grep all files and change
 > the names and then clear all the cache files.

Do you mean __pycache__?  That will happen automatically for all files
with updated API calls.  If you haven't updated the source to use the
changed API, the calls will break anyway.  The only time this is a
worry is if you repurpose an existing name to different semantics, and
the answer there is "don't do that," because it's problematic anyway.
But these will be new names, so shouldn't cause that kind of problem.

Re interop:

I have a server with a fixed IP which could just pipe mail to a Python
script that reads it and passes the message to the ARC module for
processing.  Then the script can send it back out if necessary.