[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3 Error & some questions

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 11:10:07 CEST 2015

On 08/03/2015 11:26 AM, Krinetzki, Stephan wrote:
>> On Aug 01, 2015, at 00:36 AM, Berry  wrote:
>
>>> On Jul 30, 2015, at 05:54 AM, Krinetzki, Stephan wrote:
>
>>> 2. In mailman 2, I've created a list and added a new owner. Then the
>>> owner get an email, with his password and a link to the admin page of the
> list.
>>> How does this work in mailman3? If I create an list in mailman3 and set
>>> the owner, then the email address is the owner, but he isn't noticed.
>>> So what steps are needed to get an password for the new owner and admin of
> the list?
>
>> I don't know what you mean by "he isn't noticed".
>
>> In MM3, there is no such thing as a list admin or moderator password.  If
> you are subscribed to a mailing list with the owner or moderator role, then
> you should have permission to do things as them for that particular list.
> So you just log into Postorius and go from there.
>
> Ah okay. So the user needs an MM3 account to get a password, right? There is
> no option to create an user, when a new list is created and the user (the
> mail address) is not known bei MM3? The current workflow on mailman2: Create
> list, set owner address. Owner gets an email with the information that he
> has a new list and that he is the owner of that list with a specific
> password. I'm missing this feature in MM3. A notice: Hey, you have a new
> list and you are the owner.

No, just an address is created and its role is set as 'owner'. If he
needs to access his list/list-settings he would have to login into
Postorius (the web UI), which he can do via Mozzila Persona(which is
currently supported), or infact any social-authentication method for
that matters.

MM3 is not at feature parity with MM2 and we are working to solve this.
We expect 3.1 to have all the features from MM2.

>>> 3. Is it possible to get Shibboleth ( <https://www.shibboleth.net>
>>> https://www.shibboleth.net) working with mailman3?
>
>> If there is a Django plugin for Shibboleth, it may be easy.  The Postorius
> experts can probably provide more information.
>
> Okay. I will have a look (i know a little bit Django)

You can use any authentication mechanism for authenticating in Postorius
as long as you provide it the email of the person logging in.

>>> 4. The link in the welcome mail to the info page of the list is wrong.
>
>> Yes.  Because of the new MM3 architecture, it's not possible in a generic
> way for the core to send welcome emails with the proper domain urls filled
> in by default.  We know how we are going to do this, but it will have to
> wait for MM 3.1.
> So the only solution at the moment is to edit/change the default template?

MM3 won't be able to fill in any variables like ${listinfo} correctly
right now. If you urgently want this to work, you can do it this way:

http://<url_to_postorius>/<base_url>/lists/${fqdn_listname}

Remember that the <base_url> is different in different django projects
that you use, in bundler it is 'mailman3' and in postorius_standalone it
is 'postorius'.

--
thanks,
Abhilash Raj