[Mailman-Developers] HyperKitty : VCS change

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Jan 9 15:57:56 CET 2013

On Jan 09, 2013, at 03:46 PM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:

>The HyperKitty project was historically using Bazaar as it VCS, and
>was hosted on fedorahosted.org. An essential component was split off
>(KittyStore), which was initially source-controlled with Git and
>hosted on Github.
>I'm trying to bring back some coherence into this, and considering
>switching all the components to Git on fedorahosted.org.
>The reason for this choice is that me and the other two most frequent
>contributors are much more skilled with git than with bzr.

Mostly for curiosity: why fedorahosted and not github?

>We're concerned however by the uncomfortableness it may cause you, the
>Mailman community, if/when you want to contribute to HyperKitty.
>Barry, Terry, Florian, would that be a problem ? Others ?
>Of course I'm ready to merge patches sent by email or bugtracker, but
>that's a little more friction.

For my job, I basically have to be functional in bzr, hg, git, svn, and cvs,
but thankfully no longer rcs, sccs :).  I wouldn't call myself a git guru, but
I can manage.

One of the advantages of the new architecture is that development can happen
independently.  I do subscribe to the principle that those doing most of the
work should get to decide, so if git works better for you, I think it should
be fine.  I don't think it will be *too* difficult to stitch everything
together for a future sumo-release.

No objections from me, as long as the documentation is updated.  Please submit
a patch or merge-proposal to update the ArchiveUIin5.rst document though.

Cheers,