[Mailman-Developers] Like to participate in GSOC 2013 (GNUMailman) - Like some ideas proposed in the list (Django, Python)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Apr 8 22:16:58 CEST 2013

Barry Warsaw wrote:

>IIRC, Mark was using Cygwin at one point.

Yes. Actually, my main Mailman 2.1 development platform is Cygwin, but
I gave up on trying to run MM 3 under Cygwin.

I don't recall all the issues, but there were several around file names
with unacceptable characters for Windows (there's one in MM 2.1, but
it's easily worked around).

>The thing about Windows is that we're using several *nix-isms in process
>management and possibly in other places.  I have no burning desire to try to
>make these Windows compatible.

The real problem with running Mailman on Windows, at least for real
lists, is you need a viable mail server. It seems to me that most
people who might consider running Mailman on Windows do not have a
machine with a fixed IP with full circle DNS and a non-generic host
name and preferably an IP not in a 'home use' block. These things are
needed if you want large ISPs to accept your mail.