[Mailman-Developers] Interested Google Summer of Code Student

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Mar 21 20:08:42 CET 2011

On Mar 16, 2011, at 09:54 PM, Matthew Brunelle wrote:

>Hello, I'm a high school senior from Rhode Island.  I'm interested in
>working on Mail Man for the Google Summer of Code.  I was wondering
>where I would best be able to help out.  I had looked on the ideas
>list <http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2011/Mailman> and I
>think I would be able to do the most with completing the Django web
>u/i.

Hi Matthew.  I'm sorry for the delay in responding; I always fall so far
behind email during Pycon.

>I have some experience with Django (as a personal project I'm working
>on a web application that analyzes cross country results).  So this
>seems like the best area for me, but if anyone else knows of any
>opportunities I'd love to hear about them.
>
>I also don't have any experience with mailing lists.  I did some
>research on proper etiquette but if I brake any social rules I truly
>apologize.

Not at all.  mailman-developers is exactly the right place to discuss GSoC.
We've had some discussions off-line about the program and how we'll mentor it,
and it's time to start bring those discussions public.

Working on the Django web ui is definitely a core task for GSoC this year.
Last year Anna did some great work on it, and I think we're in a great
position to finish this up, and do more real-world testing with the REST API
in the engine.

In the next few days I should be filling out a wiki page on wiki.list.org for
our 2011 GSoC participation, which will be under PSF sponsorship.  I'd be very
happy for you to participate.  I registered as a mentor just this morning, and
I know Florian will mentor again this year too.  You're welcome to email here
or ping me on irc.freenode.net #mailman.

I'll send a follow up when the wiki page is up and running.  It'll be linked
to from the Python GSoC page.

Cheers,
-Barry