[Mailman-Developers] Welcome to our Google Summer of Code Students!

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Wed Apr 27 11:57:27 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:02:58AM -0400, Terri Oda wrote:
> I hope you'll all join me in welcoming our new Google Summer of Code
> students:

Awesome news.

> * Benedict Stein (benste on IRC) will be working to complete the GSoC
> work Anna did last summer on the django-based web UI for Mailman 3.0.

'Complete' sounds interesting. Is that pretty achievable? I can't
believe it's almost been a year.

> * Drew Rodman will be converting pipermail to use SQL (rather than
> pickles) for storing data and creating an upgrade script to help users
> migrate their archives to the new format.  He's even hoping to get
> Stable URLs working by the end of the summer!

Was the plan to use SQLite? Or the choices (and it should be a
choice) of MySQL / Postgres?

> * Dushyant Bansal (dushyant on IRC) will be working on the interface of
> the archives, integrating work from Yian and Priya's GSoC projects last
> summer and getting it all ready to go for Mailman 3.

Nifty.

> I'm really excited to have all these great projects and great students!

You're not the only one.

> While the students do have a set of official mentors (Barry, Florian,
> Anna and me), you're all encouraged to help out throughout the summer.
> The end goal is to have some fully integrated awesomeness, so don't be
> shy if you've got questions, suggestions, etc.

My suggestions from last year are still pertinent ;o)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamamyl/4484703864/

> If you've been lurking here wondering how to get involved with Mailman
> 3, now might be a great time: we've got mentors who've already set aside
> time to be involved this summer, and we've got students who could
> benefit from having more people involved in development effort over the
> next few months.  For example, we discovered while our students were
> writing patches that we don't have a great description of the Mailman 3
> install process, so if you want to install it and write up your
> experiences on the wiki (or just in a blog post we can link to!), that's
> a great place to start!

Is it too early to start thinking about Operating System/Distro
packagers/maintainers, for MM3?

--
"Saying that road tax should be spent on transport is like
 saying that alcohol duty should be spent on pubs."