[Mailman-Developers] UI for Mailman 3.0 update

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Sun Jun 6 21:50:56 CEST 2010

* Geoff Shang <geoff at QuiteLikely.com>:
> I was mainly wanting to highlight my accessibility concerns,
> particularly since I couldn't see the mock-ups, but I agree with all
> your points.

Great. I can see and I need to use my imagination to figure what a _real
good_ interface for visually imapaired people looks like. Better to have
people who really know from first hand experience what to look out for.

This said I think the interface should also be better accessible for deaf
people. I've learned deaf people experience problems with complex sentences.
We should consider that too and other aspects.

> >You mentioned "some other feature requests based on 2.1.x functionality". I'd
> >be curious to learn what they are and even more than that I would like to
> >invite you to help us create a user interface that works for as many as
> >possible.
>
> Most of my other feature requests are functionality-related, rather
> than UI as such.  Some may already be in the wishlist(s) on the Wiki
> (or wherever I saw it).  I'm happy to post them here in a separate
> thread if people think it's relevant.  They're just things I've
> jotted down when using Mm that I've thought should be changed/fixed.

Please post your feature requests even if we find out they are duplicates.

> As for UI development, I'm fairly rusty at Python and I've never
> actually used Django (though I like the look of it), but I'd be
> happy to get my hands dirty if it's a matter of tweeking what
> someone else has started.

You are more than welcome to help. As far as I know MM3 development has taken
place mostly in sprints at Pycons in 2009 and 2010 (I don't recall everybodys
name right now) and after these events almost solely by Barry and Florian.

For this summer (of code) Anna has joined the team and I believe if Barry
manages to do more work on the REST server and IMAP backend - *HINT* *HINT* -
we will soon be able to present an early version of MM3 to test and play with
while we bring it to a stable state.

p at rick

--
state of mind
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666