[Mailman-Developers] UI for Mailman 3.0 update

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Sun Jun 6 21:16:23 CEST 2010

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:

> I am really happy to find out you, as a blind person, are on this list and
> that you want to get involved into MM3 development, because creating a user
> interface that works well for most visually impaired people is one of our/my
> major goals in the MM3 WUI (web user interface) overhaul.

Glad to hear it.  I've been using Mm successfully in varius capacities
for 10 years, so I have some experience of using it.  I've only recently
taken on site admin tasks with it, which is when I decided to jump on the
mailing lists.

> This said: I believe the current interface is too complicated even for those
> who don't need to meet any perceptional or motional challenges:

Oh I can see the issues.  I think its served us nurdy types reasonably
well for some time, but as you say, it's not very logical in the way it
does things.

I was mainly wanting to highlight my accessibility concerns, particularly
since I couldn't see the mock-ups, but I agree with all your points.

> But JavaScript et al. must not be a basic requirement. We want progressive
> enhancement <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Enhancement> and, to
> answer one of your questions in your message, our goal is to ship a default
> user interface that provides the needed accessibility.

I'm glad to hear it, and I'm sure others will be also.

> You mentioned "some other feature requests based on 2.1.x functionality". I'd
> be curious to learn what they are and even more than that I would like to
> invite you to help us create a user interface that works for as many as
> possible.

Most of my other feature requests are functionality-related, rather than
UI as such.  Some may already be in the wishlist(s) on the Wiki (or
wherever I saw it).  I'm happy to post them here in a separate thread if
people think it's relevant.  They're just things I've jotted down when
using Mm that I've thought should be changed/fixed.

As for UI development, I'm fairly rusty at Python and I've never actually
used Django (though I like the look of it), but I'd be happy to get my
hands dirty if it's a matter of tweeking what someone else has started.

Geoff.