[Mailman-Developers] Hashing member passwords in config.pck

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Feb 10 19:01:49 CET 2005

At 11:17 AM -0500 2005-02-10, Tobias Eigen wrote:

>  And this, plus the CAN prefix to the patch name, reminds me: correct me
>  if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Mailman as it exists does
>  not comply with the new (unfortunately named) CAN SPAM act. According
>  to this act, a recipient of an email from a given site has to be able
>  to opt out from receiving ANY MAIL from that site. Right now all mailman
>  lists are treated completely separately, and nobody (not even the
>  subscriber) can easily find out which lists subscribers are subscribed to.

	Actually, you can easily see which lists you're subscribed to.
Go to the listinfo page for the mailing list in question, and log in
using your e-mail address and password.  There's a button that says
"List my other subscriptions".  Unfortunately, you can't unsubscribe
from all of them with a single command, you will have to unsubscribe
from each of them individually.  But you can globally change all your
passwords for all the lists you're subscribed to, change your e-mail
address, and if you scroll down to the bottom of the list, you can
change a number of other options, most of which can be applied
globally.

	However, this is only a on a per-address basis.  If you have
multiple different addresses subscribed to different lists, you will
have to handle them each individually.

>  What I envision having in my Mailman/Mambo system is a single user
>  database with one password per username for all services. Users can
>  then go to a simple preferences page on Mambo and do basic things
>  like change their email address or password, tick a box to opt in/out
>  of various mailings, and in particular opt to receive no mail at all.

	You can pretty much do all of that today.  Go to the listinfo
page and log in with your e-mail address and password.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755