[Mailman-Developers] permissions on data/aliases* with MTA='Postfix'

Bryan Fullerton fehwalker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 18:50:14 CEST 2005

On 8/17/05, Joseph Tate <dragonstrider at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've noticed that when I use a web interface to create or delete a
> mailing list, (CGI or my XMLRPC interface), the ownership of my
> data/aliases file does not change.  However if I use bin/newlist or
> bin/rmlist as root, the ownership on data/aliases changes to
> root:root.  bin/genaliases does not seem to modify the ownership.
> After the ownership has changed, the web interface is no longer able
> to modify this file.  It should be noticed that the permissions do not
> Other than "don't run it as root" can
> someone point me in the right direction to fix this?

Either your ~mailman/data directory is not setgid and group-owned by
the mailman user, or your OS does not properly force setting of group
permissions on file creation when a directory is setgid.

If the former, I suggest you run ~mailman/bin/check_perms -f to make
sure all the required directories are setgid. If the latter you have
larger problems, as I believe other parts of Mailman expect setgid
directories to force group ownership on file creation.

My ~mailman/data/aliases file is owned by root:mailman and mode 664,
and stays that way whether I use the web interface or CLI tools as
root.

Thanks,
Bryan