[Mailman-Developers] permissions on data/aliases* with MTA='Postfix'

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:53:02 CEST 2005

I've noticed that when I use a web interface to create or delete a
mailing list, (CGI or my XMLRPC interface), the ownership of my
data/aliases file does not change.  However if I use bin/newlist or
bin/rmlist as root, the ownership on data/aliases changes to
root:root.  bin/genaliases does not seem to modify the ownership.
After the ownership has changed, the web interface is no longer able
to modify this file.  It should be noticed that the permissions do not
change, just the ownership.  Other than "don't run it as root" can
someone point me in the right direction to fix this?

I can see why it happens with a remove: the removal happens in a newly
created .tmp file which is then renamed.  For a create list operation,
the error crops up during _check_for_virtual_loopaddr.  There is a
checkperms function, but it doesn't seem to be called by anything but
bin/check_perms.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com