[Mailman-Developers] on the subject of fix_url, list creation with @ is non-intuitive..

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Sat Oct 23 03:13:49 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 02:49:44PM -0400, Bob Puff at NLE wrote:
> Right.  But when would you use a www.domain?  I never use www.  Do people
> name their box www?  I usually name the host something else.  I think most
> people are smart enough to figure out that list_name at domain is not
> list_name at www.domain.  You face the exact same problem of people doing the
> same things with two different parameters; i.e., bin/create list_name
> www.domain etc...

I think you are completely missing the point.  In this case list at domain
isn't list at domain at all.  It's actually
	http://domain/mailman/listinfo/listname

Is that obvious?  Not to me.  Let's use something that appears to be an
e-mail address as an obscure shortcut for a long web URL?

If it contains at '@' sign, it should refer to an e-mail address.
If it contains 'http:' sign, it should refer to a web address.
(rule #2 obviously overrides rule#1 when the URL contains an '@' ..)

Create should allow a second parameter to define the web url.  But the '@'
syntax really should refer to the mail domain.

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek