[Mailman-Developers] on the subject of fix_url, list creation with @ is non-intuitive..

Michael Chang miranda at uranus.com
Mon Oct 18 22:47:37 CEST 2004

|> If your list machine isn't the same box as the webserver machine, then
|> the web-based create isn't going to work.  :-)

Unless the webserver is mounting the list machine's Mailman installation
via NFS.

I think that if you want a fair compromise, then require a '--posting-address='
argument to `newlist' that accepts the xxx at xxx-style declaration.
Otherwise, by default, it parses the arguments like '<name> <listname>'.

Michael

|> Terri Oda wrote:

|> > Is it always the posting address, though?  If you create a list:
|> >
|> > mylist at www.example.com
|> >
|> > isn't it possible that www.example.com is just a webserver and the mail
|> > is actually handled by some other domain (eg: lists.example.com) which
|> > may not be the same machine?

/* BEGIN SIG
 *
 * "Afraid of change, afraid of staying the same,
 *  when temptation calls, we just look away."
 *  - Barenaked Ladies
 *
 * Michael Chang
 * miranda [at] uranus dot com