[Mailman-Developers] on the subject of fix_url, list creationwith @ is non-intuitive..

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Oct 19 04:58:58 CEST 2004

Bob Puff wrote:

>Right.  But when would you use a www.domain?  I never use www.  Do people name their box www?  I
>usually name the host something else.  I think most people are smart enough to figure out that
>list_name at domain is not list_name at www.domain.  You face the exact same problem of people doing the
>same things with two different parameters; i.e., bin/create list_name www.domain etc...
>
>Whatever, its not a big deal, as long as the create script still works with the old syntax (which
>was my original point).

Actually, when you create a list via the web, the host name of the web
create URL is hostname in

   mlist.web_page_url = mm_cfg.DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN % hostname

and id is looked up in VIRTUAL_HOSTS to get emailhost for

   mlist.host_name = emailhost

Likewise, in

  bin/newlist listname at hostname

Thus, for bin/newlist listname at hostname is likely not the e-mail
address of the list. Or, if listname at hostname is the intended e-mail
posting address of the list,

  bin/newlist listname at hostname

is probably not the way you want to create it, at least in any
installation where VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW has the default "true" value.