[Mailman-Developers] Can we remove nimda.txt ?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Oct 18 12:15:51 CEST 2004

At 9:07 PM -0400 2004-10-17, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>  As to 5.8 and 4.42, I do consider the fact that Mailman 2.1.5 breaks
>  under older Python's a bug that should be fixed in 2.1.6 (and was fixed
>  in CVS very early on).  Mailman 2.1.x should still run under Python
>  2.1.  I do however /recommend/ using Python 2.3.

	Fair enough.  We can update the FAQ Wizard entry when 2.1.6 ships.

>  As for 5.12, I think it's an oversight on my part that the bounce probe
>  feature requires VERP support in the MTA.  I would like to see the probe
>  become optional in 2.1.6 so that if you do not have VERP, Mailman will
>  process bounces in the 2.1.4 way (i.e. not send a probe).  I don't know
>  if that's feasible or even desirable -- how much pain is it for
>  mailman-users that VERP is required?  From 5.12, it sounds like those
>  using Mailman in some hosting arrangements are prevented from upgrading
>  because of this.  That's unfortunate.

	I don't know how much work it would require to make this turned
on by default, but to allow fallback behaviour if not supported.  The
alternative is to revert to the older behaviour and turn off the VERP
features by default.  I'm not fond of that alternative, but it may be
better for the broader Mailman community, especially those at hosting
sites where more modern MTA features may not be available.

>  /Should/ we require VERP?  My preference would be "no".

	If that's the direction you prefer, that's fine.  My point is
that we should align all our features, and if we're going to require
VERP in one area, we might as well make use of it in another,
especially if doing so will help to reduce a very common complaint.

>  Can you provide more detail about those complaints?  What don't people
>  like about it?  The only difference between "personalized" messages and
>  "fully personalized" messages is the To header, so if they don't like
>  that, you shouldn't fully personalize the messages.

	The munging of the To: and Cc: headers, throwing away all
complaint that has been voiced to me.  My understanding is that some
of the template/personalization features are not enabled unless you
turn on "full personalization", and if that's the case, we need a
fourth alternative.

	If I'm wrong, then we might want to be more clear in our
documentation, so that people do not needlessly turn on full
personalization when they don't have to do so in order to get the
features they're looking for.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755