[Mailman-Developers] Can we remove nimda.txt ?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Oct 18 03:07:30 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 02:22, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	While we're at it, can we update the documentation so that we can
> deprecate FAQ entries 5.8 and 5.12?  It sure would be nice to not
> have so many people asking about support questions with Mailman 2.1.5
> using older versions of Python, or MTAs that don't implement VERP.

As to 5.8 and 4.42, I do consider the fact that Mailman 2.1.5 breaks
under older Python's a bug that should be fixed in 2.1.6 (and was fixed
in CVS very early on).  Mailman 2.1.x should still run under Python
2.1.  I do however /recommend/ using Python 2.3.

As for 5.12, I think it's an oversight on my part that the bounce probe
feature requires VERP support in the MTA.  I would like to see the probe
become optional in 2.1.6 so that if you do not have VERP, Mailman will
process bounces in the 2.1.4 way (i.e. not send a probe).  I don't know
if that's feasible or even desirable -- how much pain is it for
mailman-users that VERP is required?  From 5.12, it sounds like those
using Mailman in some hosting arrangements are prevented from upgrading
because of this.  That's unfortunate.

> 	Also, if we're going to require VERP support on the MTA with
> 2.1.5 and beyond, can we go ahead and turn on "VERP_CONFIRMATIONS =
> Yes" in mm_cfg.py, so that we can also eliminate all the questions
> regarding the funky subject lines which led to FAQ 4.52?

/Should/ we require VERP?  My preference would be "no".

> 	On a separate matter, the way that full personalization works is
> really, really annoying.  When enabling this on lists I manage, I've
> gotten more complaints than on all other items combined on those same
> lists.

Can you provide more detail about those complaints?  What don't people
like about it?  The only difference between "personalized" messages and
"fully personalized" messages is the To header, so if they don't like
that, you shouldn't fully personalize the messages.

-Barry