[Mailman-Developers] Maybe you guys can help me

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Tue May 4 13:42:20 EDT 2004

Quoting Bob Puff at NLE (bob at nleaudio.com):
> I haven't looked at the latest handlers, but my code says something like: if
> the person hasn't bounced in two days (of messages each day), then reset
> their counter.  So if they constantly generate these messages, there is a
> very real problem with that ISP.

The problem seems to be that they hold up email for 4 or 5 hours a day for
several days in a row.  Hundreds of messages a day get through correctly,
but if one of them is held up for four hours each day for the designated
number of days, she gets bounced off.

Yeah, it's a problem with her ISP.  That's not my problem.  My problem is
that Mailman has dozens if not hundreds of individual specialized bounce
handlers, I asked for help with modifying one of them, and everybody
treats me like I'm asking for how to draw a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

The code is already a nest of special cases.  It won't hurt the pristine
nature of the perfect code to add a small check and NOT mishandle one
thing that is erroneously treated as a bounce.  Especially since it
appears that somebody already added something to the API to allow warnings
to be silently ignored.

I figured somebody who knew the code could tell me what and where to
change it in less time than it would take to argue about it, but I guess I
was wrong.  Sorry I pissed on your wheaties, guys.  I guess I'll buy a
Python book and do it myself.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
 SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is