[Mailman-Developers] AOL's requirements for spam complaints

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Fri Jan 30 23:47:15 EST 2004

On Jan 30, 2004, at 11:42 AM, Kevin McCann wrote:

> I'm simply thinking about MLM challenges, which are increasing every
> day, it seems,

I disagree. the MLM stuff is doing quite well. There are challenges at
the e-mail level, but non-MLM-email suffers as badly as MLM-email. And
I really think the spammers have moved into their own version of the
"battle of the bulge", an increasingly difficult fight with ever
reducing gains. It's ugly right now, but it seems to me that's at least
in part due to an increasing sense of urgency by the spammers.

(more here if you care:
http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/001252.html)

> and thinking about what can be done. Personalization without critical
> slowdown is an issue.

define "critical". personalization is inherently more resource
intensive than not personalizing. Physics wins. it's more difficult to
send 20 emails to 20 people than one email to 20 people; and the
reality is, you can't personalize without sending those 20 emails.

Can things be improved to minimize that resource cost? Definitely. Is
it a high priority? For the vast majority of mailman users, no.