[Mailman-Developers] Re: Indirect Spam Vulnerability

Donal Hunt donal.hunt2 at mail.dcu.ie
Fri Jun 20 13:35:14 EDT 2003

I've actually seen this result in a mail loop between two mailing lists
on the same server (both moderated).  As a result it can cause a DOS
attack (slowing down the machine considerably).  This was with Mailman
2.0, so 2.1 may resolve the problem...

It's only happened once in 5 years (which i guess is fortunate!) but it
something that should be looked at for current realeses if it's still
possible to recreate...

Regards

Donal
DCU

Matt wrote:
 > I thought I'd describe a spam problem related to mailman I'm having
 > and propose the solution. If anyone can tell me one way or another
 > whether mailman avoids this "spam attack" I would appreciate it.
 >
 > I have two lists:  foo at myhost.com
 >                    moderated at myhost.com
 >
 > The spammer sends forged as foo at myhost.com to moderated at myhost.com.
 > Themail gets held for approval and a message gets sent to
 > foo at myhost.com informing it that the message has been held (often
 > times the subject line is mentioned and contains lewd content which
 > I'd rather not have sent out to subscribers on foo at myhost.com). This
 > is why I used the word 'indirect spam'.
 >
 > Couldn't mailman redirect bounce/moderation notifications in the case
 > where the FROM address is a mailman list and send it to the site/list
 > administrator instead (or maybe drop it completely??)? I think this
 > would avoid spamming the list subscribers while adding a minor load to
 > the administrator's work.
 >
 > Does mailman 2.1.x already do this? If not, would this break
something > in mailman? Is it unreasonably restrictive on the site/list