[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.1b2 and qmail

Ellen Spertus spertus@mills.edu
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:42:54 -0700

At 08:19 PM 6/20/2002 -0700, Ellen Spertus wrote:
 > The problem was that mail/mailman never got created from
mailman-2.1b2/src/mail-wrapper.c, which I'll now try to understand.

The problem was that /usr/local/src/mailman-2.1b2/src/Makefile was placing
the mailman executable (created from mail-wrapper.c) into
/usr/local/bin/mail/ instead of into /usr/local/mailman/mail/.  The
relevant lines from the Makefile are:

prefix=   	/usr/local/mailman
exec_prefix=	/usr/local/bin
MAIL_PROGS= mailman
MAILDIR=	$(exec_prefix)/mail
	for f in $(MAIL_PROGS); \
	do \
	    $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) $$f $(MAILDIR); \
	    chmod g+s $(MAILDIR)/$$f; \
	done

Because I did not set exec_prefix in configure, it defaulted to
/usr/local/bin.  I'll need someone wiser than me to tell me whether this
was a bug or a feature and how to permanently fix the problem.  (For now,
I'll just copy the file from the directory in which it is placed to the
directory in which it was sought.)

Soliloquizing,
Ellen