[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Zest-devel] Re: Pipermail replacement? Zest!

David Champion dgc@uchicago.edu
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:04:06 -0600

On 2002.02.26, in <20020226132634.43759@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us>,
	"Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:

> ... and a generic web search engine, running locally on that machine,
> with access to the messages, will serve that purpose fine, and can
> still be hidden behind whatever authentication you like.

Maybe I'm simply unaware of the generic web search engines that will
run on my web server and subscribe to whatever authentication mechanism
I like, including checking Mailman mailing list passwords for the
particular mailing list a user is trying to search.

My point is that if the specific authentication I'm looking must be
devised, there's no functional difference to me between placing it in
the archiver and placing it in a separate search product that knows how
my MLM and archiver work, and can talk to them. But the former seems
like a better software design to me, since the archiver is already part
of my MLM.

I'm in search of the ability to index list archives in a way that does
not violate privacy and that my users will understand. It matters more
to me that I can achieve that (without developing the glue myself each
time Mailman changes its authentication interface) than whether my
solution is Righteous.

--
 -D.	dgc@uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago