[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Zest-devel] Re: Pipermail replacement? Zest!

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:26:34 -0500

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 11:26:11AM -0600, David Champion wrote:
> On 2002.02.26, in <20020226121728.49429@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us>,
> 	"Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:
> >
> > Searching doesn't belong inside of a list archiver that has a web
> > interface -- why do the same work twice?  There are half a dozen or
> > more web search engine packages which can be pointed at that interface,
> > right?
>
> Sure it does. No web search engines have access to my list server's
> private list archives, and none will. That's an implied promise to my
> list admins and their subscribers. Those lists are private, and having a
> search engine index them gives nonsubscribers a point of access, whether
> or not they can open up the original list server's presentation of the
> archive. But subscribers should still have the ability to search the
> lists they're subscribed to.

... and a generic web search engine, running locally on that machine,
with access to the messages, will serve that purpose fine, and can
still be hidden behind whatever authentication you like.

My point that this particular wheel need not be reinvented still
stands.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")