[Mailman-Developers] Patching 2.0.13 for eVote

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Dec 26 10:01:52 EST 2002

    MD> One thing though.  When I worked on mailman, I worked on it in
    MD> the $prefix directory, not in the directory where we "make
    MD> install".  But I did alter common.c and mail-wrapper.c in the
    MD> src directory, back in the installation tree.  So I moved all
    MD> these changes into the cvs directory structure (by hand) and
    MD> created my patch.

    MD> The patch will be part of the eVote distribution.  In eVote's
    MD> installation, Mailman's installation directory (mailman) gets
    MD> copied recursively into a mailman-eVote directory and I patch
    MD> it and "make install" in that directory.

You should try to make all your changes in the checkout directory
(i.e. the ones with the CVS in them), because that will definitely
make your life easier in the long run.  It'll make it easier for you
to keep in sync with future Mailman fixes.  You'll just do a "cvs
update" and then you might have to resolve any conflict that may
result, but you shouldn't lose any of your work.  I often maintain
several checkouts as I vette other people's patches or work on fixes,
etc.

    MD> Also, I created some new files in the mailman directory
    MD> structure that didn't seem to go into the patch (some new
    MD> templates and an bin/eVote_queries.py for eVote to pump for
    MD> answers).  So I copied these into the eVote directory tree and
    MD> they get copied into mailman-eVote during eVote's installation
    MD> process.

Add -N to your diff command.  "man diff" (which cvs diff mimic) on
Linux says:

       -N
       --new-file
              In directory comparison, if a file is found in only
              one directory, treat it as present but empty in the
              other directory.

    MD> My process seems a little scattered and I can't think of
    MD> anyway to improve it.  If you have the patience to follow any
    MD> of this and have a suggestion, I'd love it.

See above.

    MD> Thank you for any thoughts.

    MD> Marilyn

    MD> p.s.  Congratulations on your release candidate release,
    MD> Barry.  I'm so impressed with this whole operation.

Thank you!