[Mailman-Developers] Patching 2.0.13 for eVote

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Wed Dec 25 23:12:40 EST 2002

Thank you Peter and Barry.  Patching seems to be under control now.

What a great facility!  It encouraged me to be more invasive into
mailman, and wax elegant in the code, since it keeps track of
everything for me.

One thing though.  When I worked on mailman, I worked on it in the
$prefix directory, not in the directory where we "make install".  But I
did alter common.c and mail-wrapper.c in the src directory, back in
the installation tree.  So I moved all these changes into the cvs
directory structure (by hand) and created my patch.

The patch will be part of the eVote distribution.  In eVote's
installation, Mailman's installation directory (mailman) gets copied
recursively into a mailman-eVote directory and I patch it and "make
install" in that directory.

Also, I created some new files in the mailman directory structure that
didn't seem to go into the patch (some new templates and an
bin/eVote_queries.py for eVote to pump for answers).  So I copied
these into the eVote directory tree and they get copied into
mailman-eVote during eVote's installation process.

My process seems a little scattered and I can't think of anyway to
improve it.  If you have the patience to follow any of this and have a
suggestion, I'd love it.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Marilyn

p.s.  Congratulations on your release candidate release, Barry.  I'm
so impressed with this whole operation.