[Mailman-Developers] Patching 2.0.13 for eVote

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Dec 21 18:29:30 EST 2002

    MD> I'm trying to create a patch to 2.0.13 that makes eVote work.

    MD> I'm afraid that I'm not experienced at making patches so I'm
    MD> reading documentation and trying to figure out what to do.

    MD> Clearly I should collect the 2.0.13 sources via CVS so I tried
    MD> following the instructions at
    MD> http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=103 but I can't make it
    MD> work:

    >> $ cvs
    >> -d:pserver:anonymous@CVS.mailman.sourceforge.net:/CVSroot/mailman
    >> login (Logging in to anonymous@CVS.mailman.sourceforge.net) CVS
    >> password:

I think there's some problems with case there.  Try the following:

% cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.mailman.sf.net:/cvsroot/mailman login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.mailman.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/mailman
CVS password:
% cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.mailman.sf.net:/cvsroot/mailman co mailman

Now, remember that that will get you the head of the cvs tree, but
Mailman 2.0.x lives on a maintenance branch.  So after you've checked
the code out, cd into the mailman subdir and do:

% cvs -q up -P -d -rRelease_2_0_1-branch

You'll now have the head of the 2.0.x maint branch (yes the branch tag
is slightly misnamed).  If you want exactly 2.0.13 -- I can't remember
how much has diverged, but probably not much -- then use
-rRelease_2_0_13 instead.

To actually generate a patch, my recommendation is to use something
like the following from the top level (i.e. mailman) directory:

% cvs diff -u > /tmp/evote-patch.txt

Cheers,