[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: Editability of messages

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:04:03 -0400

    MM> Ideally it'd be in Defaults.py so that it doesn't get blown
    MM> away on upgrade, but that's already a good thing.

See my recent checkin. :)

    MM> Out of curiosity, is it really faster to have the whole mesage
    MM> in a pickle instead of plaintext?

I actually don't remember if I timed it or not, but I suspect it has
to be faster to do a binary unpickle than to re-parse and re-generate
for each queue move.  It probably matters little for held messages.

    MM> Another titbit (sp?) of info: On sf.net, I stat files held for
    MM> moderation and delete everything that's been there for more
    MM> than a month. You'd be surprised how many spams held for
    MM> moderation and never moderated we had before that :-)

Now that would be a cool script to add, although with SpamAssassin,
we've been able to /vastly/ reduce the amount of spam coming through
python.org.  The right tool for the job, etc...

    MM> I'll probably also contribute a small script that watches the
    MM> number of messages in the mailman queue, and sends a warning
    MM> if there are more than X (meaning that you have some serious
    MM> backlog, or some other problem)

Which reminds me, how's your performance been with Exim4?  We're
seeing a lot of weird stuff happen that wasn't happening with Exim3,
specifically, we seem to exhaust our open file limit about every 3rd
or 4th day.  It's so bad that Mailman will throw a traceback
indicating it couldn't import a module (which is presumably because
Python couldn't open the module file to read from).  I've seen this
wedge Mailman and I've also seen Mailman recover, and I haven't been
able to totally correlate this with peak traffic.  It's disturbing and
we'll have to do something about it, although hopefully not as drastic
as reverting to Exim3.  I'm just wondering if any other Exim4 users
are seeing similar problems.

-Barry