[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: Editability of messages

Marc MERLIN marc_news@vasoftware.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:57:57 -0700

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 06:02:30PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> I've updated the FAQ entry with some useful information for MM2.1.

Cool, thanks.

BTW, I  *very* seldom edit  messages that  are held for  moderation. I think
twice it was because  I forgot to change my posting  address from my private
one (the one I shouldn't have posted with in the first place :-D)
(yes, I know my scheme is flawed)

Once  I think  I fixed  the  spelling of  someone's name  with the  poster's
approval.

It is however good to see that  you allowed to disable the mm2.1 behavior by
setting  HOLD_MESSAGES_AS_PICKLES to  0. Ideally it'd  be in  Defaults.py so
that it doesn't get blown away on upgrade, but that's already a good thing.
I think one use for having held  message in plaintext (mostly in a corporate
environment) would be to edit  headers automatically and/or add a disclaimer
or some  other info in  *some* posts  (i.e. a P*  script would look  at that
queue twice a minute and process messages if applicable)
Out of curiosity, is  it really faster to have the whole  mesage in a pickle
instead of plaintext?

Another titbit (sp?) of info:
On sf.net, I stat files held for moderation and delete everything that's
been there for more than a month. You'd be surprised how many spams held
for moderation and never moderated we had before that :-)

I'll probably  also contribute  a small  script that  watches the  number of
messages in the mailman queue, and sends  a warning if there are more than X
(meaning that you have some serious backlog, or some other problem)

Marc