[Mailman-Developers] Number of Mailman users?

Peter C. Norton spacey-mailman@lenin.nu
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 20:30:53 -0700

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 04:58:28PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Either mailman or majordomo, hard to say.
> Majordomo had a big installed base, but it's losing grounds quickly
> (it was far from being the best, but it was the most popular)

For a long time it was the top of the heap among a large variety of
really, really, actually crappy mlm's.

> > I already got a flame for working on Mailman, rather than ezmlm, because of
> > the perceived restrictiveness of the GPL.
>
> You can point those  people to the restrictions in qmail  (which you more or
> less need to run ezmlm).

Less.  Since postfix and courier both implement sub-addresses, you can
use them to manage ezmlm.  Since sendmail can be made to do that as
well, you can probably make ezmlm work with sendmail these days, too.

> http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#djb

This is better then some of the silly things that I've read in the
past on Rick's crackmonkey pages.  But what it comes down to is 2 things:

1) Rick thinks he knows more about programming then djb
2) Rick doesn't like the license.

However I haven't seen Rick produce or distribute very much software,
and his presentations of his "reasons" for why he belittles djb
(rather then, say writing his own, better, MTA) has made me unlikely
to take his software/solutions recommendations seriously.

> After  that, you  notice that  you have  ezmlm and  ezmlm-idx maintained  by
> different people than  the author (DJB), and the strange  absence of license
> on the ezmlm.org web site (I didn't download it to check further).
> Of course, qmail itself isn't open source.
>
> I'd *much* rather be working with Barry than DJB, thank you :-)

Agreed, but the Freds who maintain ezmlm-idx are competant and
knowledgeable, too.  I like the fact that unlike when I was wondering,
years ago if it was better to use /etc/aliases instead of
majordomo/smartlist/whatever oddball list server, that now there are
at least 2 good mlm's out there.

> PS: ezmlm isn't crap though, it  has some nice features that mailman doesn't
> quite match yet.

And its faster then oatmeal through an incontinent intestine.

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.